Who is your top 5?

Discuss the latest MCLA or NCAA Polls here.

Postby DG on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:27 pm

sculaxcoach wrote:I'll share my top 6 from my first poll

1. CSU- lost close game to Div 3-CC
2. UCSB- 6-1, only loss to # 1 at the time
3. UMD- not really tested at this time
4. BYU- due to Chap loss
5. Chap- couldn't sned them all the way to # 1 based on 1 quality win
6. Oreg- although 3-0 by wide margins, untested to date.

I am sure things will start to shake out with expanded play bot in conference and oout of conference the next few weeks.

Before I say anything, Gary, let me say that this is not in any way meant to disagree with your poll.

This is a perfect example of why the pre-season poll is bogus. Gary didn't feel that sending Chapman "all the way" to #1 based on 1 quality win. Yet if Chapman had started out as #5 in the polls, he probably would have felt like it was OK to move them up. Why were they placed at #15 in the first place? It was an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless.

This process hurts good teams who start out ranked low in the pre season polls. Northeastern or BC could have ended up very highly ranked last year if they had started higher in the preseason poll. Then they would not have had to sweat out the final poll and at-large berth selection process for Dallas.

Movements in the rankings based on what they did "since the last poll" should be reserved for the late March/early april polls.

DG
BYU 85-87, 89-92
DG
Premium
Premium

Postby Mr. Jefferson on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Ravaging Beast wrote:People keep coming on this board and put UMD at #1 with no explanation. Is this based on their poor showing at Nationals last season? Because I have not seen anything warranting a top 5 ranking other than Zamboni's analysis early in the pre-season.

You keep bring up a "poor showing at Nationals".... Please explain....

This is what I thought....

1. They beat SSU
2. Lost to Oregon by 1

How is that poor - or do you have specifics?

I agree, #1 is hard to make an argument for, top five seems realistic...
Mr. Jefferson
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Ravaging Beast on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Mr. Jefferson wrote:
Ravaging Beast wrote:People keep coming on this board and put UMD at #1 with no explanation. Is this based on their poor showing at Nationals last season? Because I have not seen anything warranting a top 5 ranking other than Zamboni's analysis early in the pre-season.

1. They beat SSU
2. Lost to Oregon by 1

Poor means not living up to the hype. Not making the semi's. Not making the finals. That was the best they have done at Nationals.
Ravaging Beast
All-America
All-America

Postby White800 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:40 pm

If CSU is #1 because of their close loss to CC how is Colorado not in the top 5 too?
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for sega.." -Brody Bruce
White800
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mr. Jefferson on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Ravaging Beast wrote:
Mr. Jefferson wrote:

1. They beat SSU
2. Lost to Oregon by 1

Poor means not living up to the hype. Not making the semi's. Not making the finals. That was the best they have done at Nationals.

You are seeming to evaluate their rankings based on LAST YEARS NATIONALS....this is 2008 - its a fresh season and your arguement isnt valid. Its the same arguement that people use anytime the traditional powers are seeming to be challegned by programs that are starting to flex their muscle a bit more year after year. Last year is in the past, focus on the present - teams' depth, and their current preformances - however you cant fault a team for hype, they arent generating it - we all are by coming on here and discussing it. With that same arguement (that you are making I feel) , you have to think back to Oregon starting to explode in 2006 - and look what it did for their 2007 - solidified them as a National Power

In my opinion, the preaseason poll is for press releases and to bring exposure to this league. Too many people use it as a "statement from the MCLA LAX GODS" - everyone knows that come April, we'll have a better idea of all teams and how they match up.

TOP 6 - becuase you cant forget about the DUCKS as High pointed out -

1. BYU - one loss to a good program
2. Chapman - big win, after a couple more, shoud be 1
3. UCSB - 6-1 - only team with a great body of work thus far
4. CSU - loss to CC - but I dont really count it - we'll know more friday and sunday
5. UMD - we'll know more after sat and sun
6. Oregon - 3-0 - and quietly staying on the UP and UP
Mr. Jefferson
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Ravaging Beast on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:49 pm

Mr. Jefferson wrote:You are seeming to evaluate their rankings based on LAST YEARS NATIONALS....this is 2008 - its a fresh season and your arguement isnt valid. Its the same arguement that people use anytime the traditional powers are seeming to be challegned by programs that are starting to flex their muscle a bit more year after year. Last year is in the past, focus on the present - teams' depth, and their current preformances - however you cant fault a team for hype, they arent generating it - we all are by coming on here and discussing it. With that same arguement (that you are making I feel) , you have to think back to Oregon starting to explode in 2006 - and look what it did for their 2007 - solidified them as a National Power

In my opinion, the preaseason poll is for press releases and to bring exposure to this league. Too many people use it as a "statement from the MCLA LAX GODS" - everyone knows that come April, we'll have a better idea of all teams and how they match up.

4. CSU - loss to CC - but I dont really count it - we'll know more friday and sunday

You just solidified my argument. They haven't done anything yet this season. So people seem to be basing UMD's ranking on last year. I was pointing out that they didn't do anything special last year. If you track any of my posts over the last 6 years, I am more than willing to accept a new team as a powerhouse. I was one of Oregon's strongest advocates last year, but not the year before. I believe that a team has to be consistently good year in and year out to deserve a high ranking based reputation. So one good season is not enough. FSU was very close a few years ago. So was Colorado. Maybe in a year or two I will add UMD to that list. As it stands, the only teams that are good every year are BYU, CSU, Michigan, and UCSB (*note: consistent coaching staff). Sonoma and Oregon are on the lower end of that list.

I do like your top 6. Oregon definitely deserves to be in this debate. So does Michigan. Especially since they had a good showing in Arizona.
Ravaging Beast
All-America
All-America

Postby Mr. Jefferson on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Ravaging Beast wrote:
Mr. Jefferson wrote:You are seeming to evaluate their rankings based on LAST YEARS NATIONALS....this is 2008 - its a fresh season and your arguement isnt valid. Its the same arguement that people use anytime the traditional powers are seeming to be challegned by programs that are starting to flex their muscle a bit more year after year. Last year is in the past, focus on the present - teams' depth, and their current preformances - however you cant fault a team for hype, they arent generating it - we all are by coming on here and discussing it. With that same arguement (that you are making I feel) , you have to think back to Oregon starting to explode in 2006 - and look what it did for their 2007 - solidified them as a National Power

You just solidified my argument. They haven't done anything yet this season. So people seem to be basing UMD's ranking on last year. I was pointing out that they didn't do anything special last year. If you track any of my posts over the last 6 years, I am more than willing to accept a new team as a powerhouse. I was one of Oregon's strongest advocates last year, but not the year before. I believe that a team has to be consistently good year in and year out to deserve a high ranking based reputation. So one good season is not enough. FSU was very close a few years ago. So was Colorado. Maybe in a year or two I will add UMD to that list. As it stands, the only teams that are good every year are BYU, CSU, Michigan, and UCSB (*note: consistent coaching staff). Sonoma and Oregon are on the lower end of that list.

I do like your top 6. Oregon definitely deserves to be in this debate. So does Michigan. Especially since they had a good showing in Arizona.

While I see your point, I think the same arguement would then have to apply to Michigan as well....when was the last time they were in the final four, to me that would put them in that second tier of teams - trying to become staples of the final four. Consistency of staff???? Out side of CSU, BYU, UMD and Michigan - whose coaches have been at those programs at least 10 years..I know that is not the case at UCSB - so that might be a stretch - great staff yes - but you need to be somewhere for more than 5 years to be considered consistent.

When was the last time that the USLIA pre season player of the year wasnt on a top 5 program roster??? Most importanly - for sake of this arguement, when was this player not from the WCLL or the RMLC???

I think its safe to say they are top 5 , but arguements for #1 on expectations and hype are a bit hard to support - we agree on this I think... :lol:

By the way.. I apologize to all for my spelling, I just hate the spell check feature on this board...
Mr. Jefferson
Recruit
Recruit

Postby CATLAX MAN on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Mr. Jefferson wrote:While I see your point, I think the same arguement would then have to apply to Michigan as well....when was the last time they were in the final four, to me that would put them in that second tier of teams - trying to become staples of the final four.

It was in 2005. They lost an epic defensive battle to UCSB in the semis 4-3. They fielded one of the best defensive teams I've ever seen. Unfortunately for them, UCSB's defense was just as good.
CATLAX MAN
Premium
Premium

Postby tiki monster on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:41 pm

UMD lost to Oregon by 2 in the '07 quarters at nationals. I want to say the score was 9-7. At one point, Oregon was up something like 7-1.
tiki monster
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Ravaging Beast on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:32 pm

Mr. Jefferson wrote:While I see your point, I think the same arguement would then have to apply to Michigan as well....when was the last time they were in the final four, to me that would put them in that second tier of teams - trying to become staples of the final four. Consistency of staff???? Out side of CSU, BYU, UMD and Michigan - whose coaches have been at those programs at least 10 years..I know that is not the case at UCSB - so that might be a stretch - great staff yes - but you need to be somewhere for more than 5 years to be considered consistent.

When was the last time that the USLIA pre season player of the year wasnt on a top 5 program roster??? Most importanly - for sake of this arguement, when was this player not from the WCLL or the RMLC???

I think its safe to say they are top 5 , but arguements for #1 on expectations and hype are a bit hard to support - we agree on this I think... :lol:

By the way.. I apologize to all for my spelling, I just hate the spell check feature on this board...

As Catlaxman pointed out, Michigan has been in the semi's. They have made the quarter's alomost every year. As far as UCSB coaching consistency, they have had the same defensive coordinator for 8 years, and defense has definitely been their strong point over the years. I was a player for UCSB when Scott Demonte passed the team on to Mike Allan. Both Scott and Mike made sure not to change things up very much so that the transition would be easy for the players. I do like your posts though. You have a very logical objective way of looking at the league. If only I could look at every team that way. But I have watched what the top teams do every year. I'm very skeptical of up and coming teams until they prove themselves. Will they be able to be consistently good every year?
Ravaging Beast
All-America
All-America

Postby Mr. Jefferson on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Ravaging Beast wrote:
Mr. Jefferson wrote:While I see your point, I think the same arguement would then have to apply to Michigan as well....when was the last time they were in the final four, to me that would put them in that second tier of teams - trying to become staples of the final four. Consistency of staff???? Out side of CSU, BYU, UMD and Michigan - whose coaches have been at those programs at least 10 years..I know that is not the case at UCSB - so that might be a stretch - great staff yes - but you need to be somewhere for more than 5 years to be considered consistent.

As Catlaxman pointed out, Michigan has been in the semi's. They have made the quarter's alomost every year. As far as UCSB coaching consistency, they have had the same defensive coordinator for 8 years, and defense has definitely been their strong point over the years. I was a player for UCSB when Scott Demonte passed the team on to Mike Allan. Both Scott and Mike made sure not to change things up very much so that the transition would be easy for the players. I do like your posts though. You have a very logical objective way of looking at the league. If only I could look at every team that way. But I have watched what the top teams do every year. I'm very skeptical of up and coming teams until they prove themselves. Will they be able to be consistently good every year?

Perfect explanation of not only your thought process, but the staff back ground at UCSB. I was familiar with the staff there, but I wasnt sure if you were in the earlier posts mentioning that those teams were the only ones, so a slight misunderstanding of the post - it happens. No worries about all of us sharing opinions about the state of the league. Personally I think there are way to many people coming on here going....." Team X should be #1 - and no arguement, or rather a weak one to support it. I too have been watching this league for quite sometime myself....I remember you running around, how do we say, "back in the day...." during your playing career

My thought on Michigan is simliar to that of how you put your top teams into comparision year in and year out - those at the top, are there more often then they aren't ... they had one birth in the final four, and yes they have made it to the second round, but they havent had the amount of success as one might think they have had at Nationals - I was using your rational in saying, BYU, CSU, UCSB - class of the league, year in and year out - Noma could be put in that same realm based on their past - though they did have a rough go last year, but Michigan, Zona, Oregon, etc - are still trying to climb into that realm of the "elites"

My process of thought is this, though consistency at the top breeds a drive for teams to strive to be them, and beat them ... I do like parity (like in the NFL) that is starting to show up in this league - and Im glad that some teams are starting to push to be in that "we are closer than you think arena" --- I look at it almost as closely as I follow the NCAA D1, 2, 3 levels --- and try to find the same parity...I think the only thing that compares really is the D2 situation, as you will have teams at the top, constiently for 3-4 years, before someone replaces them (for about the same time period)...

The better question is....why dont we ever work while were at work???
Mr. Jefferson
Recruit
Recruit

Previous

Return to Polls