MCLA "ProBowl" ?????

An open forum for all MCLA fans! Be sure your topic is not already covered by one of the other forums or it will be moved.

Postby Highheat on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am

mulax06 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Vail is a fantastic event, but it is also pretty expensive (unless you have a Mega Bucks Sponsor). Guys are initially excited about doing the trip and pay for the entry fee... but when it comes time to cut the check (which happens right around the Holidays), you get a lot of "no thanks." Which leaves you with a skeleton roster and also increases costs substantial for everyone else.


I agree this could be problematic unless the league takes on the cost and increase their dues accordingly.

We did an All-Star game previously at the national tournament (many moons ago). He didn't work out very well for a variety of reasons, mostly timing. Where do you put this game during the week? No one wants to do it after Championship Saturday. Do you do it in the middle? Then the teams advancing don't want to risk injury to their players.


If you did it on Thursday you could have the all-stars from all the teams except for those who are playing on Friday/Saturday.

That leaves out only 8 teams (4 D1, 4 D2) and I am pretty sure those guys won't mind missing the All-Star game in exchange for a chance to win a national title :) On top of that, those all-stars could be replaced by players who might not have otherwise been at the NC, which is kind of nice for them.

Just a suggestion....


The problem is that by doing this you leave out the best players on the best teams in the country. I would venture to say that in most years each of these teams will have 2-3 players that would be chosen - so you play the all-star game short 12 of the best players in the league and likely THE 2 or 3 BEST players in the MCLA.

It definitely is a good idea, but like it's been said it will be hard to put together a game during the tournament itself, and putting one on before or after definitely makes things a bit more expensive and logistically difficult.

I do like the Vail idea however, and if sponsors could be put together i'm sure you could get a great turn-out for it.
Shoot high for glory
User avatar
Highheat
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Hella Cal


Postby NYBuilt on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:18 am

Highheat wrote:
mulax06 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Vail is a fantastic event, but it is also pretty expensive (unless you have a Mega Bucks Sponsor). Guys are initially excited about doing the trip and pay for the entry fee... but when it comes time to cut the check (which happens right around the Holidays), you get a lot of "no thanks." Which leaves you with a skeleton roster and also increases costs substantial for everyone else.


I agree this could be problematic unless the league takes on the cost and increase their dues accordingly.

We did an All-Star game previously at the national tournament (many moons ago). He didn't work out very well for a variety of reasons, mostly timing. Where do you put this game during the week? No one wants to do it after Championship Saturday. Do you do it in the middle? Then the teams advancing don't want to risk injury to their players.


If you did it on Thursday you could have the all-stars from all the teams except for those who are playing on Friday/Saturday.

That leaves out only 8 teams (4 D1, 4 D2) and I am pretty sure those guys won't mind missing the All-Star game in exchange for a chance to win a national title :) On top of that, those all-stars could be replaced by players who might not have otherwise been at the NC, which is kind of nice for them.

Just a suggestion....


The problem is that by doing this you leave out the best players on the best teams in the country. I would venture to say that in most years each of these teams will have 2-3 players that would be chosen - so you play the all-star game short 12 of the best players in the league and likely THE 2 or 3 BEST players in the MCLA.

It definitely is a good idea, but like it's been said it will be hard to put together a game during the tournament itself, and putting one on before or after definitely makes things a bit more expensive and logistically difficult.

I do like the Vail idea however, and if sponsors could be put together i'm sure you could get a great turn-out for it.


So you are saying this is better then not having an all star game at all? I think you could find plenty of deserving talent on the 12 teams not playing in the final weekend to have an EXTREMELY entertaining game on nothing but behind the back shots & passes...all game long...
Real Men Bull Dodge
User avatar
NYBuilt
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:10 pm

Re: MCLA All-Star team

Postby cjwilhelmi on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:22 am

Karl Lynch wrote:Or perhaps a Royal Squadron?


Sounds like we have a sponsor for a vail team.
Assistant Coach, Lindenwood University
GRLC Treasurer
cjwilhelmi@yahoo.com
Pro-Lax Staff
www.pro-lax.com
User avatar
cjwilhelmi
I just wanted to type a lot of astericks
I just wanted to type a lot of astericks
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:49 pm
Location: St. Charles

Postby Highheat on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:49 am

NYBuilt wrote:
Highheat wrote:
mulax06 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Vail is a fantastic event, but it is also pretty expensive (unless you have a Mega Bucks Sponsor). Guys are initially excited about doing the trip and pay for the entry fee... but when it comes time to cut the check (which happens right around the Holidays), you get a lot of "no thanks." Which leaves you with a skeleton roster and also increases costs substantial for everyone else.


I agree this could be problematic unless the league takes on the cost and increase their dues accordingly.

We did an All-Star game previously at the national tournament (many moons ago). He didn't work out very well for a variety of reasons, mostly timing. Where do you put this game during the week? No one wants to do it after Championship Saturday. Do you do it in the middle? Then the teams advancing don't want to risk injury to their players.


If you did it on Thursday you could have the all-stars from all the teams except for those who are playing on Friday/Saturday.

That leaves out only 8 teams (4 D1, 4 D2) and I am pretty sure those guys won't mind missing the All-Star game in exchange for a chance to win a national title :) On top of that, those all-stars could be replaced by players who might not have otherwise been at the NC, which is kind of nice for them.

Just a suggestion....


The problem is that by doing this you leave out the best players on the best teams in the country. I would venture to say that in most years each of these teams will have 2-3 players that would be chosen - so you play the all-star game short 12 of the best players in the league and likely THE 2 or 3 BEST players in the MCLA.

It definitely is a good idea, but like it's been said it will be hard to put together a game during the tournament itself, and putting one on before or after definitely makes things a bit more expensive and logistically difficult.

I do like the Vail idea however, and if sponsors could be put together i'm sure you could get a great turn-out for it.


So you are saying this is better then not having an all star game at all? I think you could find plenty of deserving talent on the 12 teams not playing in the final weekend to have an EXTREMELY entertaining game on nothing but behind the back shots & passes...all game long..
.


I'm not saying there should not be a game at all, but i think there is a certain predicament when the most deserving players are not allowed to play because of the scheduling of a game. I would venture to say that every single one of those people would love to play in that game. This becomes especially unfair if it is marketed as a scouting event for the MLL or NLL or whoever as well.

What would the NBA all-star game be like without Kobe & Lebron, or the NHL all-star game without Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and Thornton etc. etc. etc.

I'm not saying the game shouldn't happen, I just don't think that it's a fair representation of the talent of the league and you'd be punishing a few of the best players because they're actually in the hunt for the Championship instead of losing in the opening rounds....

another thought for topic, what about those players chosen whose teams don't make the tournament (assuming there are a few)?

I hate to be a naysayer but until there is enough sponsorship/revenue to fully fund a game for these players and/or their travel expenses it will be hard to put together a Legitimate All-Star type event
Shoot high for glory
User avatar
Highheat
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Hella Cal

Postby LaxTV_Admin on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Highheat wrote:I'm not saying there should not be a game at all, but i think there is a certain predicament when the most deserving players are not allowed to play because of the scheduling of a game. I would venture to say that every single one of those people would love to play in that game. This becomes especially unfair if it is marketed as a scouting event for the MLL or NLL or whoever as well.

What would the NBA all-star game be like without Kobe & Lebron, or the NHL all-star game without Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and Thornton etc. etc. etc.

I'm not saying the game shouldn't happen, I just don't think that it's a fair representation of the talent of the league and you'd be punishing a few of the best players because they're actually in the hunt for the Championship instead of losing in the opening rounds....

another thought for topic, what about those players chosen whose teams don't make the tournament (assuming there are a few)?

I hate to be a naysayer but until there is enough sponsorship/revenue to fully fund a game for these players and/or their travel expenses it will be hard to put together a Legitimate All-Star type event


I should clarify. I am not saying they are not allowed to play. I am guessing they would choose not to because they would rather not get hurt.

It is also a way to get more and more people at the MCLA championships, which is great publicity for the league.

I understand this has its drawbacks and it is not a perfect solution, but it is a viable solution.
User avatar
LaxTV_Admin
All-America
All-America
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:03 am

Postby NYBuilt on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Highheat wrote:
NYBuilt wrote:
Highheat wrote:
mulax06 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Vail is a fantastic event, but it is also pretty expensive (unless you have a Mega Bucks Sponsor). Guys are initially excited about doing the trip and pay for the entry fee... but when it comes time to cut the check (which happens right around the Holidays), you get a lot of "no thanks." Which leaves you with a skeleton roster and also increases costs substantial for everyone else.


I agree this could be problematic unless the league takes on the cost and increase their dues accordingly.

We did an All-Star game previously at the national tournament (many moons ago). He didn't work out very well for a variety of reasons, mostly timing. Where do you put this game during the week? No one wants to do it after Championship Saturday. Do you do it in the middle? Then the teams advancing don't want to risk injury to their players.


If you did it on Thursday you could have the all-stars from all the teams except for those who are playing on Friday/Saturday.

That leaves out only 8 teams (4 D1, 4 D2) and I am pretty sure those guys won't mind missing the All-Star game in exchange for a chance to win a national title :) On top of that, those all-stars could be replaced by players who might not have otherwise been at the NC, which is kind of nice for them.

Just a suggestion....


The problem is that by doing this you leave out the best players on the best teams in the country. I would venture to say that in most years each of these teams will have 2-3 players that would be chosen - so you play the all-star game short 12 of the best players in the league and likely THE 2 or 3 BEST players in the MCLA.

It definitely is a good idea, but like it's been said it will be hard to put together a game during the tournament itself, and putting one on before or after definitely makes things a bit more expensive and logistically difficult.

I do like the Vail idea however, and if sponsors could be put together i'm sure you could get a great turn-out for it.


So you are saying this is better then not having an all star game at all? I think you could find plenty of deserving talent on the 12 teams not playing in the final weekend to have an EXTREMELY entertaining game on nothing but behind the back shots & passes...all game long..
.


I'm not saying there should not be a game at all, but i think there is a certain predicament when the most deserving players are not allowed to play because of the scheduling of a game. I would venture to say that every single one of those people would love to play in that game. This becomes especially unfair if it is marketed as a scouting event for the MLL or NLL or whoever as well.

What would the NBA all-star game be like without Kobe & Lebron, or the NHL all-star game without Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and Thornton etc. etc. etc.

I'm not saying the game shouldn't happen, I just don't think that it's a fair representation of the talent of the league and you'd be punishing a few of the best players because they're actually in the hunt for the Championship instead of losing in the opening rounds....

another thought for topic, what about those players chosen whose teams don't make the tournament (assuming there are a few)?

I hate to be a naysayer but until there is enough sponsorship/revenue to fully fund a game for these players and/or their travel expenses it will be hard to put together a Legitimate All-Star type event


The game is for the fans during championship weekend. Any player that would rather participate in an all star game instead of the semifinals or final wouldn't play for any team I coached. Yes, a small group of all stars are being left out, but at this point, all of the all stars are being left out. This game would be poorly attended after the championship, by fans and players alike. Contribute a solution that would include all deserving players & be played for the fans...
Real Men Bull Dodge
User avatar
NYBuilt
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:10 pm

Postby The_Buddha_Man on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:35 am

Let's try to keep somethings in perspective....
We are not big enough to split this event and expect support, turnout, & participation like at the NCAA level.
The focus should be on trying to get it as close to "right" as possible, and learning from our mistakes and making it better each year.

I've started about 5 or 6 lax programs on all levels from the ground up, and most have been barely manageable the first year, and by year 2 and 3 it explodes due to the closeness of the lax community. The one lax thing I failed at was trying to do too much too soon in the first year rather than just trying to "kick the ball down the hill."

If we could get this going for next year, on a weekend & location conducive for fan and player participation, we can then look back, review what we did right, what we did wrong, and make it that much better for 2010. Just a thought...

If we invite the MLL/ NLL to the All-Star game, then we need to avoid treating it a s a"Pro-Day" but more as a MCLA Talent Showcase.

Vail would work too, it would show many levels of lax from youth to "Super Grandmasters" that the MCLA has come a long way (trust me, back in 1997, it's a whole different beast....) We would get recognition, maybe some recruiting, etc.

There are a lot of upsides to either Vail and/or an All-Star game, but one's pros might be the other one's cons.
Def. Coordinator/ Asst. Coach- Creighton Univ
President- Rhinos Lacrosse Club
www.BuddhaLax.com
President- OMALAX Nebraska HS Lacrosse

"Will's Rican"
User avatar
The_Buddha_Man
Buddhalicious...
Buddhalicious...
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Omaha, NE via Long Island & Jersey

Postby WCLLPREZ on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:26 am

If MLL or NLL scouts come to the Championship weekend, they would most likely stay there to see an All-Star game and the semis and finals as well. Therefore, all the "Top" players would have an opportunity to been seen.

The issue is trying to get MLL and NLL people there at this time of the year. The NLL is in playoffs so that takes out 4-6 teams from the mix and all the MLL teams are either in training camp or have an opening game the weekend of the finals.
Gary Podesta
Vice-President, MCLA
President, WCLL
User avatar
WCLLPREZ
Premium
Premium
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:25 am

Postby The_Buddha_Man on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:32 am

sculaxcoach wrote:If MLL or NLL scouts come to the Championship weekend, they would most likely stay there to see an All-Star game and the semis and finals as well. Therefore, all the "Top" players would have an opportunity to been seen.

The issue is trying to get MLL and NLL people there at this time of the year. The NLL is in playoffs so that takes out 4-6 teams from the mix and all the MLL teams are either in training camp or have an opening game the weekend of the finals.


The MLL & NLL scouting would be a great benefit, an added bonus if you will. I think the primary focus should be on providing a showcase of talent that the MCLA has to offers, for fans, players, & the community.
Def. Coordinator/ Asst. Coach- Creighton Univ
President- Rhinos Lacrosse Club
www.BuddhaLax.com
President- OMALAX Nebraska HS Lacrosse

"Will's Rican"
User avatar
The_Buddha_Man
Buddhalicious...
Buddhalicious...
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Omaha, NE via Long Island & Jersey

Postby Danny Hogan on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:04 pm

MLL and NLL scouts would probably have slim to no interest in a MCLA allstar game. If it were done separate from the national tourney, i doubt player participation would be more than 50%.

a simple allstar showcase would be good to add on the off day of the tourney. yes the best players on the best teams will be left out, but i doubt they will care.
Danny Hogan
All-America
All-America
 
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postby WCLLPREZ on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Danny,

you are absolutely incoorect on this point. MLL "scouts" are looking at MCLA players. In fact, we had the local GM at several of our games looking at players with a true interest.

I think any MCLA players who get drafted/asked to attend training camps, initially are there to meet local representation demands from a ticket sales perspective but as time goes and the skill levels of MCLA teams rise, you will see these types of players stick with the MLL teams at a much higher rate.
Gary Podesta
Vice-President, MCLA
President, WCLL
User avatar
WCLLPREZ
Premium
Premium
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:25 am

Postby onpoint on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:36 pm

sculaxcoach wrote:Danny,

you are absolutely incoorect on this point. MLL "scouts" are looking at MCLA players. In fact, we had the local GM at several of our games looking at players with a true interest.

I think any MCLA players who get drafted/asked to attend training camps, initially are there to meet local representation demands from a ticket sales perspective but as time goes and the skill levels of MCLA teams rise, you will see these types of players stick with the MLL teams at a much higher rate.


That may be true, but it is highly unlikely an MLL GM is going to spend a collegiate draft pick (the one in May) on an MCLA player, nor are they going to miss a training camp day or first game of the year day to go watch a showcase game. This would be much better served in the fall or early spring so that the GMs can either pick up an MCLA player with a Supplemental draft pick or as a free agent.
Always on point . . .

Alex Smith
CSU Lacrosse '03
User avatar
onpoint
Premium
Premium
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:28 am
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Postby The_Buddha_Man on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Once again, what if we just remove the NLL/MLL potential out for sake of making this realistic, and try to focus on getting something worthy of celebrating what the MCLA has become. Much like the national Tourney moving to an awesome, high profile venue, we should celebrate not only where we are now, but how organized the league is, and how awesome the talent is.....

In my East Coast Tournaments that my NY buddies and I run in, there are some teams littered with NCAA powerhouse helmets, and most littered with MCLA helmets- maybe 65% to 35%. If we could change our focus and maybe concentrate on the MCLA benefits, maybe the other stuff will fall into place...

I can't belive I'm going to do this but... "If you build it, they will come...."

- I will deduct some cool points for throwing that out there.... :)
Def. Coordinator/ Asst. Coach- Creighton Univ
President- Rhinos Lacrosse Club
www.BuddhaLax.com
President- OMALAX Nebraska HS Lacrosse

"Will's Rican"
User avatar
The_Buddha_Man
Buddhalicious...
Buddhalicious...
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Omaha, NE via Long Island & Jersey

Postby Danny Hogan on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:13 pm

sculaxcoach wrote:Danny,

you are absolutely incoorect on this point. MLL "scouts" are looking at MCLA players. In fact, we had the local GM at several of our games looking at players with a true interest.

I think any MCLA players who get drafted/asked to attend training camps, initially are there to meet local representation demands from a ticket sales perspective but as time goes and the skill levels of MCLA teams rise, you will see these types of players stick with the MLL teams at a much higher rate.


key word in your post local. A lot of the cream of the crop d1 drafts / MLL roster moves depend heavily on where a player lives/works/is willing to travel to.

they won't attend a MCLA allstar game...maybe 15 years from now 10 expansion teams later....

And I'm certainly not saying no MCLA players are on their radar currently.

a separate(from the national tourney) MCLA allstar game is unrealistic as well. if you build it, maybe half will come.
Danny Hogan
All-America
All-America
 
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

MCLA players

Postby Karl Lynch on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:21 pm

I'm willing to bet MCLA players will travel to enlist in the Royal Squadron.
Karl F. Lynch
King of Content
MCLA The Lax Mag
User avatar
Karl Lynch
All-Conference
All-Conference
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


cron