You make the call

Discuss the rules of the game & the world of officiating.

You make the call

Postby Ravaging Beast on Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Got this gem today in an officials blast email. I think this is from some LA high schools. Great reaction from the get getting the slashes. I can't believe he laid off the other guys. They must have been up by a lot. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsrgW0NcjL8
Ravaging Beast
All-America
All-America

Re: You make the call

Postby LaxTV_Admin on Fri May 03, 2013 10:06 am

Ravaging Beast wrote:Got this gem today in an officials blast email. I think this is from some LA high schools. Great reaction from the get getting the slashes. I can't believe he laid off the other guys. They must have been up by a lot. What do you guys think?

Wow. That is insane. Both kids doing the slashing should have been booted from the game.

The kid who took it and didn't retaliate is pretty impressive. Can be super difficult to control your emotion at a time like that. Think he was talking trash all game leading up to it?
LaxTV_Admin
All-America
All-America

Postby Chris Larson on Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 am

The recipients gestures of innocence look well rehearsed. I would not be surprised if he weren't as innocent as this clip shows.

Overall game situation will dictate a lot regarding how this is handled.

From the clip only:
    Flagrant slashes & USC on on #8. He's ejected from the game and you hope that the school/league will consider lengthening his penalty. The first slash to the head could even be construed as assault - particularly in the liberal hotbed that is California (am I doing it right Jac?)

#14 gets no less than a 2min & 3 min slash and has fouled out - his first strike at least appears to be directed at the stick, but both are still out of control. My volume is low at work. Were any of the slashes during live play? If not then #14 is ejected.

A few other questions to consider:
Is the initial hit by blue legal? Were his hands together? Is the contact a little high? Was there another foul away from the play that awarded the ball to white and blue was not forthcoming with the ball?

A 30 second clip in a 48 minute game can give a completely unfair lens through which to pass judgement.
Chris Larson

District 7 Lacrosse Official
SFO - Upper Midwest Lacrosse Conference
Treasurer - Upper Midwest Lacrosse Officials Association
General Manager - Team MN Lacrosse
Boy's Coaching Coordinator - St Paul Youth Lacrosse
Chris Larson
Premium
Premium

Postby OAKS on Fri May 03, 2013 12:15 pm

From the limited angle, it looks like blue's hit is probably legal, at least at the higher levels. Hands may have been too far apart, but it looks like it was on the upper arm just below the shoulder. Guess it would be up to a ref's interpretation as the other player was bent over some.

Most likely extracurricular activity & chatter by one or both guys throughout the game before this.
Will Oakley
Assistant Coach, Glen Allen High School
OAKS
Bumblebee Tuna!
Bumblebee Tuna!

Return to Lacrosse Rules & Officiating