MCLA D1 Pre-Season

Discuss the latest MCLA or NCAA Polls here.

Postby Highheat on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:44 pm

"ASU offense is amazing they averaged at least 12 points a game and you say there defense is horrible then how did they beat Michigan, Oregon, Utah, Chapman, and Colorado. I mean they must have been doing something right."


Did you watch them play last year? They beat Oregon 18-17 and Michigan by a similar score. From first-hand experience, their defense was embarrassingly bad. None of their poles could handle, they couldn't clear the ball because of this, and had to put up huge numbers on offense to win those games. I know of one very solid pole who will be added to the team this year, however we all know that defense is a team concept, and i think they need a lot of help in that area.

I think that ASU is top-ten but won't be a serious contender until they fix the D.
Shoot high for glory
User avatar
Highheat
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Hella Cal


Postby teslax14 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:19 pm

It's funny how some of you think the Oregon squad won't be as good this year because just last weekend they traveled to Cali to take on NDNU, Cal Poly, and Noma; losing to NDNU by one and shutting out the other two teams. Oregon will have one of the best if not the best attack and defensive units this year in the nation.
User avatar
teslax14
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:22 pm

Postby More Cowbell on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:13 pm

teslax14 wrote:Oregon will have one of the best if not the best attack and defensive units this year in the nation.


How do you figure?

They lost their top 3 scorers, their FOGO, and their defense allowed over 7 goals a game last year. There are plenty of teams in the league with stronger defenses, and their attack unit will be missing some key guys. I think they'll be good, but I dont think they'll have the best attack AND defense in the country...
Lucas Martinez
BC Lacrosse Alum
2004-2008
#20

www.bceagleslacrosse.com
User avatar
More Cowbell
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:30 am
Location: Boston, MA

Postby westcoastlax on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:27 pm

teslax14 wrote:It's funny how some of you think the Oregon squad won't be as good this year because just last weekend they traveled to Cali to take on NDNU, Cal Poly, and Noma; losing to NDNU by one and shutting out the other two teams. Oregon will have one of the best if not the best attack and defensive units this year in the nation.


I know it must be fun to brag about how good your team is, but you should at least provide all the facts. Oregon only scored 3 goals against Sonoma with noma only playing freshman and sophmores, and it was only one half of lacrosse.
I'm not trying to say Oregon is gonna be bad but don't make it out to be something it wasn't.
westcoastlax
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:48 pm

Postby Kadillac on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:15 pm

I think that the ASU squad is going to make a real push this year towards being in the top 5. I don't know if I would put them there quite yet. Rumor on the street is that they have a few new defenders this year, and that the defense is going to be much better. The offense has only gotten better, and will be putting up big numbers again. And the new coach shouldn't be a worry. Hopkins took them to a new level, and the coach this year should only take them higher. He is played some serious ball in his past, and is running the program is being treated as a Div. 1 squad. Watch out for them. I wouldn't put them in the top 5 quite yet, but only time will tell.
User avatar
Kadillac
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Laxballer22 on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:41 pm

Wa Gennusso that small fast middie? or the attackman? if not is that kid coming back to the team this year? I recall him putting up some good numbers plus hes hard as hell to cover with his speed
Laxballer22
Water Boy
Water Boy
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:43 am

Postby Laxballer22 on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:42 pm

that was in regards to Colorado's returning players
Laxballer22
Water Boy
Water Boy
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:43 am

Postby Thrilla on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:58 pm

Haha, Tes gives all the love to Oregon's attack and D. Just because the middies lost all the Lake O boys doesn't mean we're done. Remember that Retallick guy? BTW thanks for the ID bro.

On a serious outlook Oregon lost 7 starters (1 Attack, 3 Mids, 1 Fogo, 2 Poles) and an incredible senior class, but what they did on the field themselves reflects jump in the level of play those guys brought to the program. Practicing behind these guys has forced everyone to play up to a level that competes in the national championship. I won't say where I think each team is ranked, but my biased opinion is the MCLA Mag is sleeping on the ducks.

on the subject of the new coach, Joe was an incredible coach that brought a genius gameplan to every match, but I think Tiller can be an equally good coach that brings more leadership and team unity to the table.

is it too late for J-Stu for heisman?
Thrilla
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:45 am

Postby tmatlacrosse on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:40 am

I read all of these posts and I can't help but laugh hysterically. I thank those of you who want to boost their team by saying things such as "I think BLANK will have a good year this year because of BLANK".

But the rest of you thinking that you have legitimate reasons to place any of these teams in some sort of order have got to be kidding yourselves. All of this "they did this last year" and "they played all of these teams and beat them last year" isn't going to get you anywhere. Sure it's fun to speculate, but I guarantee all of you have no idea who any of these teams have recruited especially compared to other teams in the nation. We don't have this type of disposable information like it's college football.

So stop promoting this team or that team by telling me how well they performed last year. Tell me what you think your team can do this year because of x amount of reasons.
Todd Matherly

FSU Lacrosse '03-'07
President '04-'07
User avatar
tmatlacrosse
Water Boy
Water Boy
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 1:14 am
Location: Albany, GA

Postby Zamboni_Driver on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:49 pm

tmatlacrosse wrote:But the rest of you thinking that you have legitimate reasons to place any of these teams in some sort of order have got to be kidding yourselves. All of this "they did this last year" and "they played all of these teams and beat them last year" isn't going to get you anywhere. Sure it's fun to speculate, but I guarantee all of you have no idea who any of these teams have recruited especially compared to other teams in the nation. We don't have this type of disposable information like it's college football.

So stop promoting this team or that team by telling me how well they performed last year. Tell me what you think your team can do this year because of x amount of reasons.


I completely agree with you. Random speculation, arguements about last year, and biased opinion have no place in predicting the future.

However....

tmatlacrosse wrote: We don't have this type of disposable information like it's college football.


This line hits at the heart of this league's developmental needs! Complete openeness (with reguards to schedules, rosters, coaching changes, etc....) could help poollsters and forum members interpret the competivitie landscape of the league. The league just needs to set some standards to make sure that such information is available to those who need it....

if this happened I bet your issues with the league would decrease...
Zamboni_Driver
All-Conference
All-Conference
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:24 pm

Postby Highheat on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:03 am

tmatlacrosse wrote:I read all of these posts and I can't help but laugh hysterically. I thank those of you who want to boost their team by saying things such as "I think BLANK will have a good year this year because of BLANK".

But the rest of you thinking that you have legitimate reasons to place any of these teams in some sort of order have got to be kidding yourselves. All of this "they did this last year" and "they played all of these teams and beat them last year" isn't going to get you anywhere. Sure it's fun to speculate, but I guarantee all of you have no idea who any of these teams have recruited especially compared to other teams in the nation. We don't have this type of disposable information like it's college football.

So stop promoting this team or that team by telling me how well they performed last year. Tell me what you think your team can do this year because of x amount of reasons.


I think that last years results can have a good bearing on this year with respect to the returning players from those teams... if team A from last year returns 8 out of 9 starters, one could reasonably presume that team A will reach similar if not greater success this year.

While it is impossible to 100% accurately predict future performance, in theory it would also be inappropriate to make predictions even if we had the types of resources that D1 athletics have, since there is no way to predict what kind of impact new recruits will have.... on this basis, your argument is a little inconsistent...

in conclusion, past performance can and will continue to be a relatively reliable indication of future performance, within reason.
Shoot high for glory
User avatar
Highheat
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: Hella Cal

Previous

Return to Polls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


cron