Hogan, this is for you and the SEC

Non-lacrosse specific topics.

Hogan, this is for you and the SEC

Postby Timbalaned on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:05 pm

http://www.mrsec.com/story.php?id=894

Tell Florida and some of those other schools to schedule a real game.
Brauck Cullen
University of Oregon 2002-2006
Napa Youth Coach 2006
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don't ever take sides with someone outside the family...
Timbalaned
All-America
All-America

Postby Danny Hogan on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:31 am

find me the same stats for west-come-east and then add a conference championship game and we'll talk...."schedule a real game" HA!
Danny Hogan
All-America
All-America

Postby Ron Mexico on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:58 am

Get the stats on both sides for real.

PAC10 fans make it a yearly exercise kidding themselves into thinking that they rival the SEC but it will just never happen. Never.

Out of all the games cited in that article, only one- Auburn at USC in 02- was played by an SEC team that was worth a flip. Jeez- 3 of those games are Alabama during the suspension years!! USC was a vastly superior team to Auburn on the national scene that year and still barely escaped. To boot- AU ran all over them.

Who was the QB for AU that year? Daniel Cobb? or was it Campbell? Cant remember.

I remember who the QB for USC was though. He is just a little famous. Pretty sure he walked away with the Heisman that year too...

So, in the interest of accurate journalism, I would propose to the writer of that article that he change the title of it to, "Fans of Bottom of the Conference SEC Teams: Beware the West Coast Road Trip." We'll see what happens when a Georgia, a Florida, or an LSU goes out there. I also like how the author points out that LSU's 2 wins were against the bottom dwelling Arizona- yet fails to mention that Miss. State, Alabama, and Arkansas aren't exactly competitors in the SEC.

Then again, it really wasn't worth writing in the first place. Its called homefield advantage. Its not exactly a new thing.

18th post in 3 something years. That one really burnt my biscuits though.
Go Dawgs
Ron Mexico
Recruit
Recruit

Postby KnoxVegas on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:10 pm

Can we now move this back to the 2008 College Football thread please?

http://forums.collegelax.us/viewtopic.php?t=11022&start=30
Dagger!
KnoxVegas
All-America
All-America

Postby Timbalaned on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:Get the stats on both sides for real.

PAC10 fans make it a yearly exercise kidding themselves into thinking that they rival the SEC but it will just never happen. Never.

Out of all the games cited in that article, only one- Auburn at USC in 02- was played by an SEC team that was worth a flip. Jeez- 3 of those games are Alabama during the suspension years!! USC was a vastly superior team to Auburn on the national scene that year and still barely escaped. To boot- AU ran all over them.

Who was the QB for AU that year? Daniel Cobb? or was it Campbell? Cant remember.

I remember who the QB for USC was though. He is just a little famous. Pretty sure he walked away with the Heisman that year too...

So, in the interest of accurate journalism, I would propose to the writer of that article that he change the title of it to, "Fans of Bottom of the Conference SEC Teams: Beware the West Coast Road Trip." We'll see what happens when a Georgia, a Florida, or an LSU goes out there. I also like how the author points out that LSU's 2 wins were against the bottom dwelling Arizona- yet fails to mention that Miss. State, Alabama, and Arkansas aren't exactly competitors in the SEC.

Then again, it really wasn't worth writing in the first place. Its called homefield advantage. Its not exactly a new thing.

18th post in 3 something years. That one really burnt my biscuits though.

Glad you could get excited about something the. But that is the point, Florida never schedules those games and LSU and Georgia barely do. How about they get out of the corner and schedule, dominate the pac 10 as you suggest they will and people will stop talking.
Brauck Cullen
Napa Youth Coach 2006
Timbalaned
All-America
All-America

Postby Dr. Jason Stockton on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:34 pm

FYI, LSU just added two games (home and home) vs. the University of Washington Huskies. I do believe the Huskies were 9th or 10th in the Pac-10 last year.
Dr. Jason Stockton
PNCLL President
PLU Head Coach 1999-2005
Dr. Jason Stockton
My bum is on the snow
My bum is on the snow

Postby Kyle Berggren on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:40 pm

The most interesting fact I found says the SEC leads the PAC-10 10-9 in games since 1990.... Realistically, with teams leaving & joining the SEC in recent history, I'll bet that record shifts more toward the West Coast. We already know the schools are better out here (except for Oregon of course), but the better football conference will rise to the top.

Now if we could only get the worst teams in the PAC-10 to schedule home & home with the worst of the SEC we'd have some pretty interesting results.
PNCLL Treasurer
Kyle Berggren
All-America
All-America

Postby KnoxVegas on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Kyle Berggren wrote: Realistically, with teams leaving & joining the SEC in recent history, I'll bet that record shifts more toward the West Coast.

For the Record:
The Pac-8 became the Pac-10 when the league expanded in 1978 by adding Arizona and Arizona State.

The SEC last expanded in 1991 from 10 to 12 teams with the addition of Arkansas and USC.

I guess that counts as recent. Tennessee schedules Pac-10 opponents and Notre Dame. We struck a deal with Miami when they were good. I am done defending my school.
Dagger!
KnoxVegas
All-America
All-America

Postby Beta on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:58 pm

Geez people, Florida is playing Hawaii (WAC) this year. Hawaii only had 1 loss last year...so they're good right?

So the SEC plays the bottom-dwelling PAC teams, and the PAC plays the bottom of the barrel SEC teams. Since somewhere between 0% and 0% of us actually have anything to do with how college teams schedule games...I think we should just let them do whatever it is they do.

Georgia plays Arizona State this year. ASU was 10-3 last year, going 7-2 in conference and was the 2nd best team. Georgia was 11-2 last year, going 6-2 in conference and was the 2nd best team. Had ASU beaten Texas in the bowl game, they would have been 11-2.

That's about as even as we can get so early in the season.

Any takers on a prediction for that game?
Barry Badrinath: Oh man, that's the most disgusting thing I've ever drank.
Landfill: I doubt that very much, playboy
Beta
Big Fan of Curves

Postby Dr. Jason Stockton on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:02 pm

ASU overachieved last year. I'm guessing they'll finish in the middle of the pack in the Pac-10 this year. I'd expect Georgia to be a little better than ASU when all is said and done. . .but I'll take ASU and the Tortilla throwing fans at home in this one. . .but I certainly wouldn't bet more than a bag of chips on it.

P.S. I'm a West Coast homer
Dr. Jason Stockton
PNCLL President
PLU Head Coach 1999-2005
Dr. Jason Stockton
My bum is on the snow
My bum is on the snow

Postby Ron Mexico on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Timbalaned wrote:Glad you could get excited about something the. But that is the point, Florida never schedules those games and LSU and Georgia barely do. How about they get out of the corner and schedule, dominate the pac 10 as you suggest they will and people will stop talking.

I will say this- I was praying for the UGA/USC matchup last year. That would have settled a thing or two for sure- plus it would have been some darn fine football to watch.

Instead we got UGA Hawaii and USC Illinois so people would still care about the National Championship game...

I'm all for the OOC scheduling though. You want to have a true national champion- then the powers in the SEC and Pac10 need to clash from time to time. We all already know that the Big 10 cant compete.
Go Dawgs
Ron Mexico
Recruit
Recruit

Postby bste_lax on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:We all already know that the Big 10 cant compete.

Wait a second.....dammit....he is right.

:D
Matt Benson
University of Iowa Alum
#6 - (2000-2004)
bste_lax
Uncle Rico Wanna-Be
Uncle Rico Wanna-Be

Postby Dr. Jason Stockton on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:01 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:I'm all for the OOC scheduling though. You want to have a true national champion- then the powers in the SEC and Pac10 need to clash from time to time. We all already know that the Big 10 cant compete.

It looks like LSU has gone to the Ohio State School of Scheduling. . .

Nice out of conference schedule by the defending national champs:

North Texas, App. State, Troy. . . are you kidding me?
Dr. Jason Stockton
PNCLL President
PLU Head Coach 1999-2005
Dr. Jason Stockton
My bum is on the snow
My bum is on the snow

Postby bste_lax on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Dr. Jason Stockton wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:I'm all for the OOC scheduling though. You want to have a true national champion- then the powers in the SEC and Pac10 need to clash from time to time. We all already know that the Big 10 cant compete.

It looks like LSU has gone to the Ohio State School of Scheduling. . .

Nice out of conference schedule by the defending national champs:

North Texas, App. State, Troy. . . are you kidding me?

[Defensive Big Ten Talk]

OSU is getting better. They had the home and home with Texas then traveled to Washington last season. They have a home and home coming up with USC in the next two years. And it looks like they are doing a home and home with Miami (FL) in 2010/11, California in 2012/13, Va Tech in 2014/15, Oklahoma in 2016/17 and Tennessee in 2018/19.

Although the rest of their OOC schedule is always weak MAC teams.

[/Defensive Big Ten Talk]

Now if you excuse me, I have to go wash out the throw up from my mouth from defending tOSU.
Matt Benson
University of Iowa Alum
#6 - (2000-2004)
bste_lax
Uncle Rico Wanna-Be
Uncle Rico Wanna-Be

Postby Timbalaned on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:04 pm

KnoxVegas wrote:
Kyle Berggren wrote: Realistically, with teams leaving & joining the SEC in recent history, I'll bet that record shifts more toward the West Coast.

For the Record:
The Pac-8 became the Pac-10 when the league expanded in 1978 by adding Arizona and Arizona State.

The SEC last expanded in 1991 from 10 to 12 teams with the addition of Arkansas and USC.

I guess that counts as recent. Tennessee schedules Pac-10 opponents and Notre Dame. We struck a deal with Miami when they were good. I am done defending my school.

You don't have to, they do play good OOC games. As for Ron Mexico's desire of more Pac and SEC OOC games during the regular season, I am all for that too. I think it would be great to see, but no one wants to ruin their chances at the NC that early in the season.

Georgia will RUN ASU, ASU sucks and wasn't really the 2nd best team in the PAC, when playing any of the teams with winning records they lost, until poor poor dennis hurt his knee.
Brauck Cullen
Napa Youth Coach 2006
Timbalaned
All-America
All-America

Next

Return to Water Cooler